Did you ever get locked in and couldn’t find the door’s keys, or do you not have the keys? Do not worry, and we are here to solve that problem for you. In this article, we will show you how to pick a lock with a knife. If you are the one who locked inside a room and have a knife with you, that’s good for you. If you do not have a knife, call for help from someone else. They better know how to pick a lock with a knife!
What items, other than a knife, can be used to pick a lock?
You can use hairpins, paperclips, or a screwdriver (a small one). Also, you might use a credit card as well.
6 Easy Steps on How to Pick a Lock with A Knife
- Check if the knife blade fits in the lock. If it does not work, then get a knife with smaller blades.
- Now, if you have the right knife, insert the blade as far as you can.
- Slowly move your knife horizontally, once up and then down. At the same time, pull out and push in the penknife slightly. Do this for a few seconds.
- Keep one hand on the knob. Try turning the knob while picking the lock.
- If the door isn’t unlocked yet, repeat steps 1-3, use a little more force than the force previously used.
- Did you hear the lock click? If you did, then lucky you.
What should I do to pick a lock when no household items are available?
Just in case you do not have any household items, try finding objects that are irregularly shaped. Follow the steps mentioned. In case of an emergency, call the police for help or look for a window to crack it open and ask people for help.
Another Alternative to a Knife
- Take the knife and put it in the space between the door and the wall. You can also use a credit card or any other card instead of a knife.
- Slide your blade of the knife or the credit card until you find the bolt of the door.
- Now try pushing the knife or the credit card down. Keep doing this practice until you get a knife or the credit card between the bolt of the door and the wall.
- If you fix it like this process, the door unlocks quickly.
Instead of a credit card, you can use school supplies like a ruler. Just follow the same steps as the one given above.
Here is how you can pick a lock using other tools with a knife
Using two different tools will make the process easier and faster and increase the chance of success.
- Insert both the paper clip and the knife inside the lock. Use a bobby pin if you do not have a paper clip. Make sure you place the hook or the hook above the blade.
- Move the clip and your knife in different directions with little pressure.
- Keep moving it until it opens.
Avoid using very sharp knives. That may lead to an injury or might destroy the lock. A blade with a pointy edge may be needed depending on the keyhole size. Be very careful when using a knife to pick a lock, one wrong slip, and you might hurt yourself.
Do these methods work in reality?
We often see in the movies some lock picking scenes, and people think that these are a myth. But this is one of the tricks that essentially work in reality.
There you go, now you have learned how to pick a lock with a knife. Just some advice now, there are different types of locks, and to determine the safety, you need to know the types. The first method will not work for all the locks, just as the second method will not work for all different kinds of locks. You have to be patient throughout the process. Trying to pick a lock for the first time will take you a while, but it gets easier gradually.